Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pajama Day

Oh, blogspot.

I thought that I'd be able to make a post a day from the start, but I must have forgotten that I'm a mom now. Having a 3 month old who just laughs and babbles all day isn't difficult, but it is time consuming. So, after a long day of tummy time, changing poopy cloth diapers, and giving kisses until my lips got chapped, I've got time to write.
I don't mean to sound like an old man, but how about the weather?!
 Currently, I'm in Fort Collins, Colorado (an hour north of Denver). Around this time of the year, the weather is usually very windy, very cold, and very bitter. Lately, however, it's been balmy with only slight breezes during the day. Really, I can't complain, except for that this lovely bird-chirp inducing environment has got me spoiled. Today it was about 40 degrees, and since I didn't wake up to a rainbow in my bedroom, or small woodland creatures singing/dancing/begging to sew beautifully flattering dresses around my body, I just decided not to get dressed.

Oddly enough (since even my loving partner gave a slight grimace at the sight of me when he came home today), one of my goals for this year is to let my style out. For basically my entire life, I've been a tomboy. I really don't like the word "tomboy" but whatever. My style has always consisted of t-shirts, ripped up skinny jeans, sneakers, and hoodies. I'm not sure what it was about pregnancy (probably the facts that nothing fit me for more than a week, my body changed dramatically, and everyone was always staring at my belly), but after I gave birth to Arlo, I felt so much more feminine. I want to dress up. I want to do my makeup. I want to put some effort into my look. It makes me feel nice, even if I'm just going to sit around the house. I'm sure loads of other people have felt this change at some point in life. Perhaps it's just the change that comes with growing up...? I'd like to do an "outfit of the day"... well... I'll probably start with "outfit of the week", since I just got my sewing machine broken in, and I'm also poor (who would've thought, right?).  Another one of my goals is to reduce the waste I produce dramatically (no, not poo. I mean things like trash, buying brand new clothes instead of clothes from resale/thrift/consignment shops), which will tie into the whole outfit thing. I'm pretty good at rambling, right?

Anyway, I created this blog primarily to promote my shop, in addition to writing about all the other granny-like things I'm interested in. Currently, I'm in "vacation" mode in my etsy shop. Although I'm definitely not sipping margaritas on a beach, I'm having fun redoing the entire idea of my etsy shop. I'm wanting Arlo and Olive to be a shop that uses recycled materials, recycles materials, and even upcycles materials to produce items for the whimsical and free child. It's going to be a store mainly for children, but will also have some baby/toddler items, as well as items for mom/dad. I'm really excited about it, but I want to focus on having it be the best store it can be before I reopen. I just have this vision in my mind that I keep replaying:
I am working from home. I am making adorable little stuffed creatures, and miniature versions of every day things so that little ones can enjoy them. I am happy, because I have turned materials that were once used into new forms of joy. I am with Arlo and Olive, and I don't have to worry about leaving my lovebugs to go to a mundane job that causes me stress that will inevitably affect my home life. I sit on my living room floor, surrounded by my creations, bathed in sun, and smile.

with that, I give you a very sneaky sneak peak of a little guy I made today.

the photo is not the best quality, because it's taken from my crappy phone. He is a cute little guy, though. :)

2 comments:

  1. lol I thought i would have been able to write a post a day too but it's impossible!!! super nice post, thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete